The International Cricket Council (ICC) said on Friday that it did not present any evidence that former Sri Lankan sports minister Mahindananda Aluthgamez had decided the 2011 World Cup final between India and Sri Lanka and thus supported his claim to the World Cup. There is no reason to doubt the “integrity” of the body match.
The ICC issued the statement
“The ICC Integrity Unit has investigated the recent allegations regarding the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup Final 2011. At this time, we have not been able to provide any evidence to support our claim that an investigation would be launched under the ICC Anti-Corruption Code. Alex Marshall, general manager of the ICC ACU, said in a statement.
“There is no record of any letter sent to the ICC by the then Sri Lankan sports minister and senior ICC staff have confirmed that they do not have any reason to investigate receiving such a letter. We have the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2011 final. There is no reason to doubt the integrity.
The statement added, “We take all allegations of this nature very seriously and should we find any evidence to correct the claims, we will review our current position.”
Meanwhile, Sri Lankan police have also concluded an investigation into allegations that the 2011 World Cup final was scheduled, saying there was no evidence to support the claims.
“The three statements recorded so far prove that there is no evidence to substantiate the 14 allegations made by former MP Mahindananda Aluthgamez. The International Cricket Council has not responded to the allegations. It has not even launched an investigation,” said Jagat. (SIU) Lankadipa newspaper quoted the superintendent of police in charge as saying.
Prior to the 2011 tournament, the selectors were chaired by Arvind de Silva along with the then captains Kumar Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardene and Upul Tharanga.
Fonseka said the SIU would send the investigation report to the secretary of the sports ministry. He said the decision to end the probe was taken during discussions with senior officials of the special investigation unit held this morning.
Aluthgamage claimed last month that the match was settled after Sri Lanka lost to India at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai.
“The 2011 Cricket World Cup final was over. I stand by what I say. It happened when I was the state minister for sports,” Aluthgamez told Sri Lankan outlet Newsstrist.com last month.
“However, I do not want to divulge details in the interest of the country. The game we could have won against India in 2011 was fixed. I say it responsibly and I can come forward for debate.” People are worried about it. I will not involve cricketers in this. But some groups were definitely involved in fixing the game, “he added.
He later backtracked on the statement after Sangakkara and Jayawardene spoke out against him, claiming that he was talking about selling the match to certain officials, not the players.
India won their second World Cup title thanks to the heroism of Gautam Gambhir and the then captain MS Dhoni. Batting first, Sri Lanka scored 227/6 in 50 overs off Jayawardene (103 *) for an unbeaten ton. Chasing the target, Gambhir’s (979) and Dhoni’s (99 *) half-centuries saved the team ten balls.