Leicester lockdown: CT 'must stay together' after coronavirus growth

Leicester lockdown: CT ‘must stay together’ after coronavirus growth

Media playback is not supported on your device

Media captionsThe Leicester City mayor has asked residents to stay home

The mayor of Leicester has urged people to “stay together” and stay indoors after tightening lockdown restrictions.

Non-essential stores have closed in response to the city’s sharp response to the coronavirus case, and schools will have to close to most students.

Sir Peter Soulsby said he hoped they would be able to work with the government to “rise to the top of what is there.”

The steps taken by Matt Hancock are the first local lockdown in the UK.

The health secretary said the city “had 10% of all positive cases in the country last week”.

Restrictions in Leicester will last at least two weeks and will apply to the city center and several suburbs.

Mr Hancock said police would take action “in some cases”.

Leicestershire Police said it would “provide proportional policing in accordance with relevant law”.

Sir Peter said the health secretary had introduced measures that exceeded the current level of restrictions.

“What we got was more comprehensive than we expected and I’m really grateful for that,” he said.

“Because the city has been the subject of that level of limitation for us, and as the clock has been turned back, it’s something that is likely to be effective even after we’re in pain and nuisance.”

The relaxation of bans, reopening of bars, restaurants and hair salons in England on Saturday will also not be in the city.

Similarly, the relaxation of the July shielding step – which most physically allows to spend more time out of weakness – has been scrapped in Leicester.

Jonathan Ashworth, shadow health secretary, said the government had “worried and confused” the people of the city.

The Leicester South MP said the direction on the required travel was unclear and “no clarity” was available on whether the city’s businesses would receive financial assistance.

He urged the government to hold a press conference later to give more details.

Media playback is not supported on your device

Media captionsHealth Secretary Matt Hancock says several people under the age of 18 have tested positive for the coronavirus.

Labor leader Sir Kair Starrmer echoed the call for a media briefing, saying the people of Lisdar were “screaming for answers to perfectly legitimate questions” about the lockdown.

Downing Street said there were no plans for a press conference and said the law already existed to allow the government to enforce the local government lockdown but needed to be signed by the health secretary.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said he will be in “close contact” with the mayor of Leicester to monitor the situation.

Mr Hancock said Leicester’s seven-day infection rate was 135 per 100,000 people – three times higher than the next highest city.

Bradford, Barnsley and Rochdale all saw 45 or more incidents out of 100,000 people last week.

Dave Stokes, chairman of the Leicestershire Police Federation, called on the government to provide more details about what the public can and cannot do during a lockdown.

“As we have seen in recent weeks and months, if the government’s direction and message are misleading to the public, it will become almost impossible for our colleagues in the police,” he said.

Nottinghamshire police said officers suspected they had traveled from Leicester to Nottingham for their “victory”.

The force said it would work with British transport police to ensure people are not coming to town on trains from Leicester, to shop or visit pubs.

‘Heartbreaking’ for students as school closes

Image title

Teresa Lander is worried about the “huge gap” in her daughter’s education

Teresa Lander, 51, whose daughter attends Odby’s Lunde Elementary School, said the local lockdown was “a surprise and somewhat annoying” for parents and students.

“It’s a matter of concern how many schools they’ve missed, a huge gap in their studies if they don’t stay from March to September,” he said.

“They were having fun back at school. It’s frustrating for them, but you have to respect that.”

Read more responses from local parents here.

The traders further said that they were confused due to the sudden nature of the announcement.

Blake Edwards, owner of Flappers and Gentleman Salon, said he was “devastated” by the news of the reopening on Saturday and had bookings for the next five weeks.

“Time is running out [for the business]“We need more help,” he said.

“Even though workers are frustrated, rent still needs to be paid, all other bills still have to be paid.”

Shaf Islam, the owner of the restaurant, said: “My move to reopen on the 4th of July created a spring.

“The news is a big disappointment. We spent a lot of money and I called the staff back.”

Image title

Blake Edwards said his salon was fully booked for the next five weeks

Follow the BBC East Midlands Facebook, Twitter, Or Instagram. Send your story ideas


Do you live, work or run a business in the area? How will this affect you? Share your experience by email

If you would like to speak to a BBC reporter, please include a contact number.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *